MCQ Class 8
1. What is the main focus of the chapter Tsunami ?
A) Inspiring incidents worldwide
B) Stories from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands
C) Experiences of people affected by the Tsunami
D) How to prepare for natural disasters
Answer: C) Experiences of people affected by the Tsunami.
2. Which part of the chapter includes stories from the Andaman and Nicobar Islands?
A) Part 1
B) Part 2
C) Part 3
D) None of the above
Answer: A) Part 1.
3. Who is Igneous in the chapter?
A) A survivor of the Tsunami
B) The manager of a co-operative society
C) A scientist studying earthquakes
D) None of the above
Answer: B) The manager of a co-operative society.
4. What did Igneous do to protect the television set during the earthquake?
A) He switched off the television.
B) He threw the television out of the window.
C) He put the television on the floor.
D) He covered the television with a blanket.
Answer: C) He put the television on the floor.
5. What woke Igneous up during the Tsunami incident?
A) A loud siren
B) His wife’s senses
C) The sound of crashing waves
D) The shaking of the building
Answer: B) His wife’s senses.
6. Who among the following faced the loss of multiple family members during the Tsunami?
Answer: A) Igneous.
7. Which individual tried to save the cook’s wife but tragically drowned in the process? A) Igneous
Answer: B) Sanjeev.
8. Which country is the setting for the story in the second part of the chapter?
A) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Answer: B) Thailand.
9. What did Tilly and her family observe on the beach that made them realize a Tsunami was approaching?
A) Rising sea level
B) Whirlpools in the water
C) Strong winds
D) Earthquake tremors
Answer: B) Whirlpools in the water.
10. Who among the following recognized the signs of the approaching Tsunami and warned their family?
Answer: D) Tilly.
11. Where did Tilly and her family go after Tilly warned them about the Tsunami?
A) Back to their home
B) To a nearby shelter
C) To a hilltop
D) To their hotel
Answer: D) To their hotel.
12. What happened to Tilly and her family’s hotel during the Tsunami?
A) It collapsed completely
B) It was heavily damaged
C) It remained unaffected
D) It was evacuated beforehand
Answer: C) It remained unaffected.
13. How did Tilly and her family’s decision to return to the hotel ultimately affect their lives?
A) They were safely rescued from the hotel
B) They faced injuries but survived
C) They lost their belongings but survived
D) They were able to escape the Tsunami’s impact
Answer: D) They were able to escape the Tsunami’s impact.
14. How did Meghna manage to survive during the Tsunami?
A) By holding on to a wooden door
B) By swimming to safety
C) By climbing on a rooftop
D) By seeking help from nearby boats
Answer: A) By holding on to a wooden door.
15. What happened to Almas after she climbed on a floating wooden log?
A) She drowned in the water
B) She fainted and lost consciousness
C) She was rescued and taken to the hospital
D) She managed to swim to safety
Answer: B) She fainted and lost consciousness.
16. Which of the following individuals was not mentioned as a survivor in the given information?
Answer: B) Sanjeev.
17. How long did Meghna float on the wooden door before being rescued?
A) One day
B) Two days
C) Three days
D) Four days
Answer: B) Two days.
18. What is the main focus of the third part of the chapter?
A) The intelligence of animals
B) The role of animals during a Tsunami
C) The importance of sixth sense in animals
D) Animal behavior in natural disasters
Answer: B) The role of animals during a Tsunami.
19. In which country’s national park did only two animals die while 60 visitors lost their lives during the Tsunami?
C) Sri Lanka
Answer: C) Sri Lanka.
20. What did people notice about three elephants in Yala National Park before the Tsunami struck?
A) They were playing in the water
B) They were sleeping near the beach
C) They were running away from the beach
D) They were hiding in the forest
Answer: C) They were running away from the beach.
21. Where did the incident involving two dogs saving their master take place?
A) Yala National Park
B) Galle, Sri Lanka
C) Andaman and Nicobar Islands
Answer: B) Galle, Sri Lanka.
22. How many animals died in the Yala National Park during the Tsunami?
Answer: C) Two.
23. What did the behavior of the elephants and dogs mentioned in the chapter suggest?
A) Animals have a sixth sense to predict natural disasters
B) Animals are smarter than humans during emergencies
C) Elephants and dogs are particularly sensitive to Tsunamis
D) Animals always know how to protect themselves in danger
Answer: A) Animals have a sixth sense to predict natural disasters.
24. What is the main message of the chapter Tsunami?
A) The power of natural disasters
B) The importance of environmental protection
C) The need for awareness and education
D) The stories of survival and courage
Answer: C) The need for awareness and education.
25. What do Tilly’s quick thinking and Meghna’s determination demonstrate?
A) The importance of preparation for natural disasters
B) The significance of education and awareness
C) The need for environmental protection
D) The destructive power of Tsunamis
Answer: B) The significance of education and awareness.
26. What is one of the key lessons learned from the chapter?
A) Natural disasters can never be prevented
B) The environment has no impact on Tsunamis
C) Education and awareness can save lives
D) Courage is the only factor in surviving a Tsunami
Answer: C) Education and awareness can save lives.
27. What is the connection between natural disasters like Tsunamis and the environment?
A) Tsunamis have no relationship with the environment
B) Tsunamis are a result of climate change and environmental degradation
C) The environment is always the main cause of Tsunamis
D) Natural disasters have no impact on the environment
Answer: B) Tsunamis are a result of climate change and environmental degradation.
28. What does the chapter emphasize regarding the role of education and awareness?
A) They are irrelevant in dealing with natural disasters
B) They are only helpful in specific cases
C) They can be life-saving during calamities
D) They are ineffective in preventing Tsunamis
Answer: C) They can be life-saving during calamities.
29. What is one important measure suggested in the chapter to prevent natural disasters?
A) Building stronger structures
B) Evacuating coastal areas permanently
C) Planting more trees
D) Promoting environmental awareness
Answer: D) Promoting environmental awareness.